Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It's the crazy simple things....


So….

I found a new recipe this morning.

I religiously watch this woman’s cooking blog called "Joy the Baker" and try out her fantastic recipes. Today I was delighted to find a Lemon Almond Meringues recipe that looks divine.

I had to try them.

My fingers twitched, my toes curled, and this growing urgency to make these cookies became too irresistible to ignore. So I printed the recipe and moseyed around the kitchen and gathered all the ingredients I needed.

The only problem…I did not have a lemon.

I have this thing about improvising on recipes. It can be a fun thing to do and is highly encouraged for experimentation of flavors, but when trying a recipe out for the first time, I find that improvising is a forbidden thing to do. So instead of making the cookies, I dug through every crevice of the refrigerator, looking for a leisurely lemon that might aid me in my cookie making, but to no avail.

I concocted a daring scheme to run to the store in my pajamas with no trace of makeup on my face. In a college town the “just rolled out of bed” sight of me would have been easily forgiven. However, I then talked myself out of this spur of the moment affair and simply told myself to wait until after work to go and get a lemon, saving on gas and not limiting myself to a serious time crunch.

About an hour later, when it is almost time for me to go to work, my father and grandmother enter the house with a load of groceries…and in their possession…was not just one lemon but TWO lemons.

The irony was comical to me, but at least it saves me from having to run to the store after work. I have all the ingredients I need at home now and can finally put my twitching need to make cookies to rest.

Whew.

What a fine way to start the day, don’t you think?

So I shall definitely be baking some fine and dandy deliciousness in the kitchen this evening, and sending many silent and endearing “thank you’s” to Joy the Baker.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Do yourself a serious favor. Actually, two favors.

1. Check out all of Joy’s recipes and ogle at her witty sense of humor and fantastic photography: http://www.joythebaker.com/

2. Make something fun in your kitchen today. Whip up one of your favorites and pretend that you’re on your very own cooking show, no one will ever know! :)

~Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment