Friday, January 21, 2011

A Lament, To The Best Cat EVER

Dearest Readers,

This past week is no longer “easy syllabus week”, it is “we’re going to buckle down at GO!” week. So it has been just a tad busy. We’re already falling behind due to class cancellations due to snow, but hey, I’m not complaining. :) College is nothing like High School, when it snows you have class. Period. There is no 2-hour delay or cancelation. Unfortunately some of our professors live father away from the college than they should like, and therefore have to drive quite a way to get here. Thus not wanting to compromise their safety in the snowy and icy weather, they cancel class. Which means more sleep!

On Fridays I only have one class, and then it is off to work for 5 hours! I actually like being back here quite a lot, I have missed the ladies dearly and they were all aglow when they saw that their little Intern had returned. It’s also great to be writing again. Don’t get me wrong, I have been writing in my stories here and there, but I really enjoy the writing of articles for a magazine. It’s a fun process and I am excited to see my name published in the articles! Before you know it, it will be seeing my name on the cover of a book! (I hope)

The boyfriend has been studying diligently for his upcoming Actuary exam and I am extremely excited and curious to see how it goes! I am proud of him and all the hard work that has gone into preparing for it.

Also, my betta fish (Rick Castle) has been nothing short of adorable. He has been building bubble nets strictly in that corner of the tank and is enjoying the pineapple to no end. He never seems to get bored and is always happy to see me, because that means it’s feeding time!

On the downside, my kitty, Smokey, passed away at the age of 18 yesterday afternoon. He has been a wonderful companion throughout the years and had a marvelous personality to which I will miss incredibly. I will never forget those early morning “head buttings” in order to coax me awake and how he would purr so contently when he found me buried underneath the covers. Or how I would play “cat fishing” with him, which would result in me and a fishing pole and a hair-tie at the end of the line chasing him around the house. Whenever my sister and I were sick, he would lay there right next to us and NOT MOVE until our fever had gone down. To mom, he was our trusty thermometer. I will miss so many things, especially taking cat naps with him while laying in the sunlight that shined on our living-room floor.

It will feel awkward going home to a house that is completely pet-less. That’s not the way it should be, since we are pet lovers. Even just walking into a room preparing to saying something witty like, “hey handsome” and finding no Smokey to lift his head and stare at me blankly will be tear-jerking. He will always be my boy cat, my M’oakers, my M’oak ah monk ah Moo, my Smokey boy. You are sorely and deeply missed my friend. I love you. If anything I wish I could have told you that one last time….But I am sure you already knew.

Today is a day of remembrance and love, think of memories you enjoy and cherish; for they are the best reminders that you are loved and how much your love means to others. You only live once, and as cliché as it sounds, live it as much as you possibly can.

Stay strong, stay healthy, and simply live.

~Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment